Wednesday 26 May 2010

Sea textures

On a recent journey to Chinatown I found myself finding some very unique items to the average Australian,
The sea cucumber
Jellyfish
Sour beans

I was pondering on a dish, that comprised of braised octopus, almond milk granita, tomato gel, shiso and olive soil.
A dish I wasn't content with, so I went to the drawing boards and of course googled the sea.
To my dumbfounded idiocy I discovered a coral reef, now the task at hand is to attempt to replicate a coral reef using the textures from above but also trying to impart colour and flavours that contrast,
So we have working at the moment, a dragonfruit (almost neon purple) gel, cauliflower in the dehydrator, yogurt in the dehyrator, tomato foam, stained lotus root, pickled cucumber, nasturtium flowers and leaves, as well as all of the aforementioned componants.
Here are some of the 1st attempts






Another plating option




-

The flavours for these were spectacular but the presentation was far to drab, hopefully with the addition of these new componants we will have an amazing new dish on our hands


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment